Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Let's Talk Food...Bread Salad

In my obsession to combine my current summer loves (cucumbers and tomatoes) I was on the hunt for a good Italian salad. Then Kelly suggested a Bread Salad and I searched for different recipes. This is what I came up with.
Bread Salad

Prepare several hours before eating. I made mine right after lunch for dinner.

2 hothouse cucumbers, peeled and sliced
4 medium tomatoes, cut into pieces
1/2 medium Vidalia onion, diced
1 bunch basil, sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
splash balsamic vinegar
splash lemon juice
1 day old loaf Italian bread cut into cubes
Salt and fresh pepper to taste

Mix cucumbers, tomatoes and onions. Add basil, oil and vinegar. Toss. I used my hands for the initial tossing (after washing them, of course!). Add salt and pepper. Keep tossing periodically throughout afternoon.

Cut up bread after preparing salad and let sit. The more stale the bread, the better. Add to salad about an hour before eating.
This was a huge hit with the family. The only suggestions they had 1) smaller pieces of tomatoes and bread; 2) letting the bread sit longer in the salad. I had read on one recipe that the salad was even better the next day and it was. I was afraid the bread would be too soggy, but it was perfect. I'm guessing you could make this is the evening, bread and all, and have it for lunch the next day with no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment