Saturday, December 12, 2009

Smile

Quick...right now...smile! Smile again!

You think you look goofy sitting at your screen smiling, but I think we all need to smile more.

Don't worry about your teeth...your lips...your wrinkles. Just SMILE! Lots!

At water aerobics there's a woman who reminds me of those 40s movie queens. Bette Davis, mostly. She rarely smiles. I don't know her name or her situation. Once I saw her smile when she thought no one was looking and it was bright and broad and looked so right. When she smiles at me, her lips are pressed together and she looks awkward. I'm guessing she's self-conscious about something. I think she needs to let it go.

I've been on a mission lately to be more positive. This has been part of the Buddha Mom transformation of 2009. At first I consciously made myself smile at people and say "hello." It's now become habit.

I smile at everyone. I say "hello" and "thank you" and "Merry Christmas." I feel lighter on my feet. Happier on my skin. And I think I'm spreading good cheer everywhere I go.

Or people think I'm completely loony and are only responding out of fear!

Actually, I end up in lots of conversations because of this. People want to chat in the check out lines. They want to share something while we wait in the doctor's waiting room. There are stories to be heard everywhere I go. And I want to hear them all.

Go forth and smile! Be friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment